Bean bags provide a comfortable option when watching television, snuggling together or stay with children. Beanbag chairs are made in a wide range of sizes and shapes, and buyers should consider the level of comfort offered by the filling. Remember, some bean bags come with the beans filled, while others require you to purchase the fillers separately.
Here’s a look at diverse requirements and the kind of bean bags that suits them best.
Shapes of Bean Bag Chairs
Each bean bag will have a different shape with its pros and cons. By understanding the shape, you will know which one is right for you and will offer a superior state of mind.
- Round bean bag chairs: it is shaped like a ball and the perfect choice for relaxation or casual living room where you like to play video games and watch movies. Remain a popular/traditional choice, but there are modern shapes that suit a range of interior designs.
- Square bean bag chairs: in a shape of a cube and used more like an ottoman for footrests. The chair can act as temporary seating or can be used as tables or something to lean against. Due to their defined shape and lines, they serve the dual purpose of being a decorative piece by itself as well as an additional place for seating.
- Teardrop and pear-shaped bean bag chairs: have a round base and a narrower top. They are more comfortable as they provide back support due to their height and broadness. It’s perfect to rest your back and stretch your legs out in the front.
- Game chair bean bags: usually wide and round at the base and tapers towards a point near the top. The chair provides a more traditional seating experience and sometimes has a contoured back. It also provides a more supportive seat for guests.
- Novelty bean bag chairs: usually fall under the category of kids’ bean bags and take the shape of anything such as suns, animals, flowers, footballs, cartoon/TV/movie characters, as well as those with covers sporting very bright colors or bold patterns. Perfect choice for your child’s room.
- Elongated bean bag chairs: are large and extra-large in size. Ideally for 2 or 3 people. Perfect choice for large or home theater rooms.
- Outdoor bean bag chairs: commonly found on porches, beachfront restaurants, bars or coffee shops. You can buy an outdoor beanbag and place it in any corner of your garden or porch… or next by the pool. Some types are even designed to float over the water like a swimming pool. Certain companies produce kids beanbags special for your children to play with their friend outside.
Unusual shapes available:
- The sack shaped beanbag is a deeply deep sinkable shape, which is designed to envelop you, ideal for snoozing and late-night TV watching.
- The flat pancake-shaped beanbag is a handy multi-purpose furniture piece to have around, it can double up as a desk or table when needed. Plus it can easily accommodate two people. One can easily lie down on it as well.
- A flatter and lower-to-the-ground variant of the pancake bean bag is the cylindrical bean bag. This is a very lounging style similar in shape to a couch.
- The pillow shaped bean chair is basically a giant pillow. Some can be flattened completely to act as mattresses, others can be kneaded and pulled into various shapes. This style is also large enough to accommodate two people.
Sizes of Bean Bag Chairs
Children’s bean bag chairs are built to encourage sitting and reading or simply to keep them comfortable while watching TV. On the other hand, giant beanbag chairs are ideal for teenagers, adults, and are made from more robust materials to support the extra weight. Extra large giant bean bag chairs accommodate two or more adults, and they can be used for parties, watching TV in the family or listening to some amazing music.
Here are the main types of bean bags according to sizes:
- Small to Medium Bean Bags: great for kids and youths. These types of beanbags are usually made for little kids up to children who are 4’6″ tall (140 cm) tall. The circumference of bean bags is approximately 100 to 120 inches (255 to 305 cm).
- Large Bean Bags: manufactured mostly for teenagers who are up to 5’2″ (160 cm). The circumference is around 130 to 140 inches (330 to 355 cm).
- Extra Large Bean Bags: circumference is approximately 140 to 150 inches (355 to 380 cm), and they are preferred by adults. Perfect to host 2 or 3 people, this type of bean bag has an elongated shape and is ideal for lazing around with your loved ones. Suitable for large rooms like the living room and home theater rooms, where there is a lot of space and people sit together.
- Double Extra Large Bean Bags: these types are enormous, require a LOT of space, are built for adults up to 6’5″ (195 cm) tall or it can accommodate 4+ people. Come with a circumference of around 170 to 180 inches (430 to 460 cm), or even more for custom made products.
The main idea behind a bean bag chair is always comfort. It is the ideal piece of furniture to sink into and relax. So it shouldn’t be too small or too big. Bean bags are usually one-size, but some can be larger, so you might find yourself lost within. Others are designed with smaller frames, like for kids, so you may see yourself drop out of the bag. Plus, if you want to have a companion on your side, your bean bag needs to accommodate the extra body comfortably.
So, as a general rule, sizes to consider includes kids bean bags, teens and adult sized, plus giant or extra-large beanbags. Some companies even specify the diameter of the bean bags.
Fabrics for Beanbag Chairs
Bean bags shape and size are important factors to consider, but the fabric used to bring a superior esthetic and helps in keeping your bean bag clean and stain-free. Typical materials include leather, cotton, faux suede, corduroy, faux fur, nylon, satin, vinyl, or plastic. Faux fur, suede, and corduroy bean bags should be kept away from any staining materials. That’s because it is tough to clean stains off such bean bags and the mark does remain.
Real Leather bean bags are the peak of luxury and comfort. They are manufactured from high-quality leather hides that are both durable and flame retardant. Leather bean bags are one of the least buying options because the care process is more pretentious and wear more accelerated. Plus, they are costly compared to other models.
Faux Leather bean bags are artificial leather made from PVC or Vinyl fabric, which gives the excellent effect of leather without the price tag of real leather beanbags. Faux leather is soft and supple, sometimes with a leather grain embossed into the fabric. They are easy to wipe down, making them ideal for homes where kids accidentally spill drinks or foods on them. It is flexible and waterproof, but it is not very comfortable.
Faux Suede bean bags are another options. Faux suede looks and feels like real suede, but has the advantage of easier care, maintenance, and is stain repellent. Faux suede – or suedette – is usually created with a water repellent quality so it can be safely and efficiently cleaned. Did I mention it’s also significantly cheaper?
Suede Leather bean bag covers are less durable than standard leather, but its thinness and flexibility make it suitable for delicate uses. Due to its textured nature and open pores, suede may become dirty and absorb liquids quickly. Suede should be cleaned with a dry sponge or suede brush to remove dust and dirt. As protection against water stains and damage, you can use a silicon spray. Suede must be clean as per the manufacturer’s directions.
Faux Fur bean bags are made of a high quality, fire retardant faux fur. Fashionable and luxurious, these bean bags add softening and luxurious texture to your home decor. Either curl up on a long pile plain faux fur beanbag or relax on one made from a short pile animal print faux fur – the choice is yours! Faux fur is becoming more popular than a real one as people respect animals and would prefer this type of fabric and material.
Cotton bean bags are made from 100% cotton, a practical and colorful material. Cotton is soft and warm, a great option when you want to relax at home. It is also extremely robust which makes it an ideal choice for bean bags in high use areas.
Corduroy is a choice that never goes out of style. Modern corduroy is most commonly composed of tufted cords, sometimes exhibiting a channel between the tufts. It comes in a variety of weights and colors. The width of the cord is commonly referred to as the size of the “wale,” or the number of cords per inch. Corduroy bean bags are super soft, super comfy and robust.
Chenille has many qualities when used as a cover fabric, and is made from a variety of materials including cotton, polyester, rayon wool, and silk. It’s constructed from yarn that has a raised tufted pile. The tufted threads are flowing out at different angles resemble fuzzy hairs, hence its name – which is the French word for caterpillar. It creates very soft textures and also scatters light in different directions. It is durable and often recommended for heavily used pieces of furniture.
Microfiber is made from fine synthetic fibers, producing a piece of fabric that’s very soft to the touch. Microfiber often mimics fabrics such as suede, linen, silk, or velvet. The fibers act as a barrier against dust and pet dander, which can’t penetrate. Microfiber covers are stain-resistant, and liquid tends to flow instead of soaking in, allowing you time to blot it away before a stain sets in. Microfiber attracts lint from other fabrics, such as cotton. These fibers are tough to remove from microfiber covers and will decrease the effectiveness of the material.
Outdoor bean bags are made from soft, shower-proof, and UV resistant materials, making them sun and water-resistant, and easy to clean. They come in a variety of colors. Outdoor beanbag fabric has a firmer structure, making it ideal for bean bags that need to retain their shape. Although ideally suited for use outside, these bean bags are very comfortable and look great in any living room or bedroom.
Plastic as a piece of fabric is the easiest to clean and maintain but in the summer, sitting in a plastic bean bag can get very hot. Vinyl is another popular choice, but it can get sticky from time to time. Waterproof fabrics are also a good choice for easy maintenance.
Whatever your preference in fabric material is, there is a bean bag chair for it, so invariably select one based on your lifestyle. Customizable bean bags are also available. You can opt for a customizable fabric cover, so if you already have a bean bag and want to change its looks, all you need to do is to replace its cover.
Filler for Bean Bag Chairs
You might not consider what is inside of a bean bag as long as all you want is to relax. However, the material inside and cushioning of the bean bag decides invariably it’s softness and comfort grade. Some elements can be very noisy and crackling, so every time you move, the bag will make strange noises.
A bean bag should always be soft and spongy, depress with your weight but be firm enough to support your body. Moreover, it should be durable, sitting on it for an extended period shouldn’t destroy it.
Beanbag fillers can be made from a variety of materials and should meet strict safety regulations. There are different bean bag fillers available on the market today.
That’s why, in order to help you, we perform a market research and consumer report analysis and find out the best bean bag filler products, review the top 5 products and give you a full buyers guide.
Removable Covers for Bean Bag Chairs
Nowadays beanbags come with an inner liner that holds the beans. Since the filling is held within the liner the cover itself, a cover can be easily taken off and – in some cases – machine washed in case of accidents. The non-removable bean chairs do not have the option of removing the cover; these bean bag chairs can be refilled.
Removing the cover from a bean bag to either wash, or interchange with a new cover takes a few seconds. First, locate the outer cover zip tags. Once zip tags have been located, unzip your cover by pulling the zip tag from one side of the bag to the other. After that, proceed to remove the cover. If you wish, you can wash it or purchase a cover. Sit down, relax and enjoy the amazing comfort of your beanbag chair.
Other Bean Bags Features To Consider
Durability: the next thing to think about when purchasing a beanbag seat is how durable it will be. Kids tend to be more destructive than adults, and as a result, beanbags are subjected to a greater amount of additional “stress”. So you’ll want to look for a bean bag chair that has a very durable cover, should be securely stitched, and the zip very strong. You should also periodically check the beanbag for signs of damage, and remember that over time any bean bag chair will become less comfortable as the filling starts to compress. While this is less of an issue with modern beanbags, you’ll probably still need to buy some extra filling at some point to top up your bean bag chair.
Safety: related to the above points, is the issue of safety. For a kid’s bean bag chair, look after one that has a child-proof zipper. These are mainly helpful if your child is young, as they’ll prevent him or her from unzipping the bag and causing a big mess with the filling. You should also try to keep the bean bag topped up as needed, especially if your child likes to jump onto it. Over time, beanbags tend to flatten out a bit, so your kid might end up having a hard landing if the chair becomes too compressed. Any bean bags sold in the US have to be strongly double stitched, and zippers must have either a removable zipper handle or a parental locking mechanism.
Other buying decision you should take into consideration:
- Fire retardant: for fire safety purposes.
- Double stitching: for strength and practicality.
- Overlocked stitching: for safety and strength.
- Double zipped: for the safety of young children and also to prevent beans spilling out.
- Piping: to create distinctive paneling and a unique design feature.
- Inner nets: secures the beans in place within the outer cover.
As you’ll see, the price range for a bean bag chair is pretty diverse. Expensive models with faux fur, real leather, or stylized covers can cost at least $300-$500. But a decent price to pay for good quality is between $200-$300. Such bean bags may not be very fancy or have removable covers, but they do the job. The larger the bean bag, the higher the price, and even washable bean bags with zipper covers are a lot more pricey than their regular counterparts.