- 37Models Considered
- 66Hours of Research
- 145Reviews Analyzed
- 8Article Updates
When it comes to kitchen island carts, the spendthrift has decided to buy. The tightwad has decided not to buy. The average spender, however, is ready to think about it. No matter which of the three groups you may currently fall into, one thing is certain: you want with your money to do more, have more, and reach farther. The problem is – at all three places on the buyer “continuum” – most people don’t know how and what to do it.
That’s where we can help.
We spent 60+ hours researching dozens of moderately and high-end priced kitchen islands, balancing the pros and cons of various models, so you can choose the best option.
For many of us, the kitchen is the centerpiece and heart of our home – it plays an important and crucial role in anyone’s life. And kitchen islands and carts are those “luxury” pieces of furniture that create a functional space where you can gather with family and friends to cook, eat, and share memories together. Every kitchen has the potential for storage, display, and functionality. However, not all of them have enough of any of these. A kitchen island has to solve any or all of these problems.
Kitchen island carts are primarily made for storage purposes and have a large capacity to hold kitchen accessories. Most island carts consist of cabinets, drawers and some of them have towel bars. There are many configurations for a kitchen island to work based on the space you have. Manufacturers offer island carts with reduced depth, bespoke height, extra-large units tailored to suit large kitchens, or complete with wheels for flexibility. You will actually find out so many different models that would become quite a task to choose the best one – unless you do not fully read our buying tips!
If you are fortunate to already have a kitchen island you’re in for a treat. For those that are on the search to buy one, we review the best kitchen island carts. When it comes to kitchen islands, never assume your kitchen space is too small for an island – you’d be surprised by the options below. From storage to additional seating, any den, sized apartment or house will benefit from the versatility a kitchen island has to offer.
3 Quick Tips for Buying a Kitchen Island Cart
- Dimensions that work for you. Large kitchen islands are gorgeous – yet, you need a lot of space to make room for one. Choose your kitchen island to suit the space in your kitchen and leave space to cook/work efficiently. Optimally, the gap between an island and some other furniture or apparel in your kitchen should not be less than 36-48 inches. For more intel, jump to our kitchen islands and carts buying guide section.
- Storage and organization. Think about the kinds of items you need to store on your kitchen island. There are many types of storage available in kitchen island styles, from drawers and shelves to cupboards and cabinets. Look for a kitchen island that provides drawers and slots for all your spoons, knives, and forks. If you have small appliances, look for kitchen islands that provide plenty of sturdy shelves and a drop leaf.
- Pick the right surface. If you’ll be using a kitchen island primarily for food preparation, find an island that’s topped with a butcher block. They provide the best cutting surface and cleaning is simple. If you’re looking for a heavy-duty island, a stainless steel top is heat-resistant and more durable. For smaller kitchens where the island will be a prep station and later a dining surface, go with a varnished wood top.
Our Top Picks
- Editor’s Choice: Crosley Furniture Drop Leaf Kitchen Island Breakfast Bar
“Fits a lot of kitchen necessities and turn into a great bar; drop leaf for additional space or dining.”
- Best Value: kealive Kitchen Island on Wheels with Wine Shelf
“Compact island, plenty of storage, solid tabletop, easy to move. A great option on the cheaper end.”
- Best with Cabinet Storage: Home Styles Americana Oak Kitchen Island
“Beautifully designed, antiqued sanded and distressed finish, easy to put together, and very sturdy.”
- Best Commercial: Seville Classics Commercial Stainless Steel Top Worktablet
“Heavy-duty construction, no sharp edges to hurt yourself. Perfect to free up the kitchen counter.”
- Best Hardwood Top: Casual Home Kitchen Island Solid American Hardwood Top
“Functional, well designed and manufactured. Lots of extra storage space for smaller kitchens.”
- Best Storage Cart: Winsome Wood Single Drawer Kitchen Cabinet Storage Cart Natural
“Solid beechwood kitchen cart, attractive, and functional with removable slatted shelves.”
- Best Trolley Utility: Giantex Kitchen Island Cart Rolling Trolley Utility Cabinet
“Stable and durable for long time use, ample storage spaces with adjustable shelves.”
- Best with Drop Leaf: Catskill Craftsmen Mid-Sized Kitchen Island Flat Panel Doors and Drop Leaf
“Drop leaf almost doubles the work surface. Made of sustainably harvested domestic hardwood.”
- Best Splurge: Whitmor Supreme Kitchen and Microwave Island Cart
“Wooden cutting board, shelves adjust in one-inch increments. Awesome kitchen cart for the price.”
- Best for Small Spaces: Winsome Wood Drop-Leaf Kitchen Island Cart
“Solid beechwood body, double drop leaf top; elegant design and manufacture, so practical and very solid.”
- Honorable Mention: Home Styles Americana Antique Kitchen Island
“Rustic design elements, distressed oak finished top. Amazing value and quality for much less.”
Best Rated Kitchen Islands and Carts: Reviews and Features
Do you need to upgrade your kitchen and need more information so you can be able to choose the best option? We ask you this question because kitchen islands are made of different materials and styles. Most of them are designed for use in the kitchen while others can be used in a garage, small offices, or gardens.
If the kitchen cart is made of wood, it should be made of strong hardwood materials for durability, while if it’s mainly of steel, be sure it is coated with a nonrusting material to ensure that it doesn’t rust. Choose a kitchen island cart that will provide you with enough storage space, check how many drawers and shelves it has, plus tons more – all details are listed below.
Now let’s reviews the Top 10 Kitchen Islands and Carts products you can shop with confidence.
Editor’s Choice – Best of the Best
Crosley Furniture Drop Leaf Kitchen Island Breakfast Bar
- Brand: Crosley Furniture
- Material: hardwood and wood veneers
- Colors: white, black
- Matching stools for both colors
- Dimensions: 35 x 48 x 36 inches
- Product weight: 185 lbs
Create additional kitchen storage space with the attractive Crosley Furniture Drop Leaf Kitchen Island Breakfast Bar. Constructed from hardwood and wood veneers, this kitchen island cart boasts a white (or black, depending on what model you choose) painted finish with a protective lacquer to minimize wear from normal use.
It has two drawers up top, both the same size – they glide nicely and close completely. The two-door cabinet below has lots of room for whatever you need to store in there and the hinges work nicely, The hinges on the doors are already in place so you only had to set the door in place. Magnets are pre-installed and gently pull the door to a full close. Open storage on both ends provides easy access to frequently used items and is perfect for displaying decorative objects.
The natural, solid Mahogany wood top provides extra counter space for your kitchen ideal for food prep. Raise the drop leaf to expand your serving space, or just sit at the breakfast bar and eat your meal. The handsome raised panel doors and drawer fronts provide the ultimate in style. Even better, raised diamond accents and fluted pilasters are sure to impress your guests.
It is easy to assemble, the instructions are clear and straight forward. Everything fit together perfectly. The shipping boxes are well made and everything will arrive in good shape. This is a quality product, for a good price comparably. Style, function, and quality make this kitchen island and breakfast bar a wise addition to your home.
- Drop leaf for additional space or dining.
- Large open storage with adjustable shelves on each end.
- The interior shelving is adjustable.
- Handsome raised panel doors.
- Drawers slide easily and quietly, are solid to withstand regular use.
- The pieces are heavy (not sure this is a cons).
- Some instructions are unclear.
Kealive Kitchen Island on Wheels with Wine Shelf
- Brand: Kealive
- Material: rubber wood and MDF
- Colors: white
- Dimensions: 41.3 x 18.9 x 35 inches
- Product weight: 57.1 lbs
A real striking centerpiece, the Kealive Kitchen Island on Wheels with Wine Shelf takes center stage and adds contemporary style to your home. No matter how small your kitchen space is or how many things you need to store, this workstation from Kealive is compact. And it has a large countertop with 300 pounds of weight capacity.
Crafted from sustainable solid wood with a food-safe finish, this island countertop is safe for food prep. Painted in a clear lacquer finish, and the waterproof surface is conducive to extend the usage period. The result is a very solid piece of furniture that you’ll enjoy using for a lot of years going forward.
The drawer, open shelf, and enclosed cabinet will help you to keep any clutter out of sight. Set ingredients on the countertop and prepare recipes with a mixing bowl, cutting board, and vegetables. When dinner prep is done, store dinnerware on the island’s shelves. A great add-on is the wine rack. The handle makes it convenient for you to move the kitchen trolley around.
Four universal rolling casters could drive the kitchen island anywhere needed. Two lockable casters under the towel side make the kitchen island stable at certain positions. It comes with 1-year and extra 12-month promise for free and lifetime service ready to serve you within 24h. If you are looking for an HQ kit to put together that will hold up well and is a good-looking piece of furniture, you really can’t go wrong with this product.
- Compact island for optimizing space.
- The cart is spacious and easy to move.
- Tabletop weight capacity is great.
- Slotted and adjustable shelves; the wine shelf is a great addon.
- Two-year warranty.
- Not so easy to assemble, there are multiple parts to put together.
Best with Cabinet Storage
Home Styles Americana Oak Kitchen Island
- Brand: Home Styles
- Material: asian hardwood
- Colors: black, white, full distressed oak
- Dimensions: 26.5 x 49.8 x 36.5 inches
- Product weight: 75 lbs
As one of the best-looking products that are available on the market today, Home Styles Americana Oak Kitchen Island is made up of solid Asian hardwood, which provides durability and strength. Comes in a rich black, white or full distressed oak finish for an aged look, giving an elegant look to your kitchen. Keep in mind that the use of power tools above eight volts is not recommended on this product.
The kitchen island has many features. Include a unique convenient drop leaf that rises to provide additional dining and serving space. This one alone gives it an edge over its competitors. Also include antique nickel hardware, easy glide storage drawer, raised detail cabinet doors with adjustable shelves inside, and open storage on each end with an adjustable shelf. The recommended seat height for counter stools with this island is 24 inches.
This versatile and stylish Kitchen Island Cart in Oak Finish is probably the best wooden kitchen island present for sale in the market. The clear-cut finish of the wood material prevents it from wear and tear and makes it last longer than expected. You might feel overwhelmed when the 3 large boxes arrived believing installation would be a nightmare. It is really easy, straightforward, and quick. All the pieces fit perfectly.
- Antiqued white/black sanded and distressed finish.
- Hardwood solids and engineered wood.
- Storage cabinet with accessibility from both sides.
- Easy-glide pass-through drawer.
- A good deal for the money.
- Heavy and stable, not easy to move it.
- Some of the holes don’t line up for the screws.
Seville Classics Commercial Stainless Steel Top Worktable
- Brand: Seville Classics
- Material: brushed 443 stainless steel
- Colors: stainless steel
- Dimensions: 49.2 x 24 x 35.4 inches
- Product weight: 52.5 lbs
Are you looking for a safe, durable, and heavy-duty worktable? Seville Classics Commercial Stainless Steel Top Worktable features the perfect thick but heavy-duty brushed 443 stainless-steel work surface. Even more, the table features a rounded bullnose edge for extra safety. Certified by the NSF to NSF/ANSI Standard 2 – Food Equipment for home, commercial, and office environments.
Built with industrial-strength steel, the frame is engineered for strength and durability and is protected with a chrome coat. Store up to 500 lbs on the work table and another 500 lbs evenly distributed across the shelf for a maximum load of 1000 lbs. The ventilated steel wire bottom shelf can be adjusted at one-inch intervals. The adjustable leveling feet provide extra stability and security on smooth surfaces. All four wheels roll and move 360 degrees.
Easy assembly with no tools required. This Commercial Stainless Steel Top Worktable is great for kitchens, restaurants, laboratories, warehouses, mailrooms, work centers, or home kitchens. Backed by a 1-year limited warranty unless otherwise specified. The warranty protects against original defects in material or workmanship under normal home or office use for the duration of the warranty period.
Lastly, this stainless steel worktable can be used to move around supplies if you are painting, for holding tools in a fixed area like the garage or basement, or for storing gardening tools. You can also cover the top with a nice tablecloth and place brunch foods and drinks while filling the bottom shelf with plates and utensils for a mobile brunch with your friends.
- Brushed 443 stainless steel construction.
- Heavy-duty construction, store up to 500 lbs.
- No sharp edges to hurt yourself.
- Padded, adjustable leveling feet for extra stability.
- Nice flat easy clean top surface.
- Easy to assemble.
- Small for commercial use, good for home use.
- Don’t add an aesthetic value to a kitchen.
Best Hardwood Top
Casual Home Kitchen Island Solid American Hardwood Top
- Brand: Casual Home
- Material: solid wood top
- Colors: white/ natural
- Dimensions: 20 x 40 x 36.5 inches
- Product weight: 45.8 lbs
Expand your kitchen storage possibilities and style with Casual Home Kitchen Island Solid American Hardwood Top. This multi-function island cart ensures plenty of storage and fits beautifully in any space. One of the main features is the two-tone design. The finishing is done in a beautiful white finish color that makes the cabinet look unique and elegant while the top is made of natural wood in natural/beech finish.
Include one large sliding drawer and two large shelves. The drawer pulls with a stainless steel handle to provide an enclosed space to keep your kitchen essentials. Spacious lower shelves provide ample storage space for your kitchen essentials. It is also equipped with a stainless steel towel rack.
The assembly is quick and easy – the only part that might be a little tricky is the back panel for the drawer. Look it over a couple of times to make sure you have the right part and the part is oriented the way it should be for final assembly. For the price you pay, it is a good-quality affordable piece, and not too heavy to move it since it has no casters.
- Functional, well designed and manufactured.
- Lots of extra storage space.
- Instructions are basic but easy to follow.
- Great value for the money.
- Bottom part feels ultra-light and cheap.
- No casters available for easy mobility.
Best Storage Cart
Winsome Wood Single Drawer Kitchen Cabinet Storage Cart
- Brand: Winsome Wood
- Material: solid beechwood
- Colors: natural finish
- Dimensions: 26.9 x 18.2 x 34.3 (inches)
- Product weight: 54 lbs
The Winsome Wood Single Drawer Kitchen Cabinet Storage Cart Natural is another compact option for small kitchens. It is constructed of solid beechwood and provides you with a food preparation surface and storage cart all in one. It has a natural look due to its finish with a clear lacquer that seals the actual solid beechwood. The material of the back of the cart is the same as the front and sides.
Winsome Wood’s single-drawer storage cart packs a lot of multi-task potential into its compact dimensions. The towel bar is installed on the right-hand side. You could drill your own holes on the left and fill the holes on the right, but it is manufactured to have the towel bar on the right.
There is a cabinet behind the front doors with two removable slatted shelves. The doors and drawers are equipped with wooden handlebars for easy opening and closing. You can shift the cabinet to different corners of the kitchen or any room as it is crafted with four black lockable casters for easy pulling and pushing. As a matter of fact, this superb kitchen island cart goes wherever it needed, then slides away when not in use.
Island cart weight is 54 pounds, shelf weight capacity around 25 lbs. It comes unassembled, however, the assembling process is quite easy and fast. If you are looking for a simple and durable kitchen island, get Winsome Wood Single Drawer Island Cart. It has a compact design that does not require huge storage spaces, but at the same time, it is quite convenient.
- Solid beechwood kitchen cart.
- Lots of extra storage space.
- Removable slatted shelves.
- Casters provide high mobility.
- Bottom part feels ultra-light and cheap.
- Difficult to assemble.
Best Trolley Utility
Giantex Kitchen Island Cart Rolling Trolley Utility Cabinet
- Brand: Giantex
- Material: rubber wood, pinewood, MDF
- Colors: black, white
- Dimensions: 18.5 x 48.5 x 36.5 (inches)
- Product weight: 86 lbs
The Giantex Kitchen Island Cart Rolling Trolley Utility Cabinet is the perfect option for anyone and everyone. It is constructed of high-quality MDF and PB materials, which ensures strength and durability, and it does not easily break if dragged through cuisine or anywhere in the house. It has a natural black or white look due to its protective paint. The rubberwood top is strong enough to store your kitchen appliances.
Giantex is a popular furniture brand designing products with modern innovation and features. The sizable top counter offers a great working area for cutting vegetables, preparing, or meal serving. Two towel bars are installed on the left and right-hand sides. Can be used not only to hang towels but also as push handles for easy control of the kitchen cart when you move it.
Underneath the countertop sits two wide drawers for utensils, cutlery, and tools, while two lower doors open to reveal storage space with a shelf – store plates, pans, pots, or kitchen appliances on the bottom. Below, two cabinets with doors are equipped with metal handlebars for easy opening and closing. Each cabinet has an adjustable shelf, with three heights to choose from, and the shelves are adjusted as needed to store items of various sizes.
You can shift the cabinet to different corners of the kitchen or any room. The four wheels at the bottom can be rotated 360 degrees, making it easy for you to move it anywhere. There are two wheels with brakes, and when you want the kitchen trolley to stop somewhere, you can lock the two wheels.
This versatile cart rolling trolley and utility cabinet is great for kitchens, apartments, hallways, or anywhere you need more extra storage. If you are looking for a simple and durable kitchen island, get the Giantex Kitchen Island Cart Rolling Trolley Utility Cabinet. The simple and classic design blends perfectly with most decorative styles.
- Stable and durable for long time use.
- Ample storage spaces keep the room more organized and tidy.
- Adjustable shelves to meet various requirements.
- Easy to move with four flexible swivel wheels.
- Perfect addition to any apartment or home.
- The instructions aren’t as clear as they could be.
Best Drop Leaf
Catskill Mid-Sized Kitchen Island Flat Panel Doors and Drop Leaf
- Brand: Catskill Craftsmen
- Material: solid wood and hardwood veneer
- Colors: yellow birch
- Dimensions: 26.5 x 40 x 34.5 inches
- Product weight: 53 lbs
Jam-packed with a wide array of practical features, Catskill Craftsmen Mid-Sized Kitchen Island with Flat Panel Doors and Drop Leaf is a fantastic addition to any traditional or transitional-style kitchen. It is one of the perfect examples of a combination of form and function. As for the base frame and counter, this kitchen island is made using solid wood for sturdiness and has a natural oil finish that lets it blend well with all types of color.
It features a drop-leaf tabletop, a spice rack, a towel rack, a cutting board, a large drawer, and a cabinet with three interior adjustable shelves. This kitchen cart from Catskill Craftsmen has a maximum weight capacity of 300 pounds. The interior shelves have a weight capacity of 100 pounds and provide ample space to store a variety of utensils. The hardware is nickel-plated, while the work surface will exhibit the grain structure of what are in essence vertical slices of the birch trees.
Side panels, back panels, and shelves are built of warp-resistant hardwood veneer. It also features locking caster wheels so it can be transported easily. This Mid-Sized Kitchen Island with Flat Panel Doors and Drop Leaf is a Ready to Assemble (RTA) product and requires minimal assembly using simple tools. Apply mineral oil frequently to prevent dry-out, or you can paint it.
- Drop leaf almost doubles the work surface.
- Made of sustainably harvested domestic hardwood.
- Features a mineral oil finish.
- Nickel plated hardware and locking casters.
- Clear, well written assembly instructions.
- Heavy, casters might fall off if you moved it frecvently.
- Do not include more finishes (but that’s a brand tradition, made only natural oiled furniture).
Whitmor Supreme Kitchen and Microwave Island Cart
- Brand: Whitmor
- Material: chromed steel frame and shelves
- Colors: chrome
- Dimensions: 13.25 x 27.5 x 33.5 inches
- Product weight: 20.3 lbs
The Whitmor Supreme Kitchen and Microwave Island Cart can be used in many areas of your home and in different ways. You can use it to store a food processor, a blender, a rice cooker, or microwave, as well as pans and pots. Which gives you a ton more counter space to cook and create in a small kitchen. They are good solutions and a convenient way, as well, to have a mobile workstation if you have a larger kitchen and need to port about your different cooking utensils.
This rolling microwave cart features a chromed steel frame for stability and durability. The top is actually a wood cutting board that can be removed and used for food preparation. Shelves adjust in one-inch increments to accommodate items of different heights. The bottom one can be removed for extra space. Include chrome handle and locking wheels for easy transportation. There are black stoppers that you put on the legs to hold the shelves up.
This microwave and kitchen island cart is well-built, stylish, and portable so it’s a good choice for anyone with limited kitchen space. Buyers love this rolling kitchen cart because is easy to put together and that the wheels allow them to move it wherever they want. However, if you do not balance the cart, some do note that the shelves don’t stay in place and slide off. This Supreme Kitchen and Microwave Island Cart comes with an outstanding 10-year limited warranty.
- Sturdy construction for long use.
- Wooden cutting board, easily removable for cleaning.
- Shelves adjust in one-inch increments.
- Effortless assembly, no tools required.
- 10 year limited warranty.
- With a heavy microwave in top place, the cart become extremely wobbly.
- No drawer or cabinet.
Best for Small Spaces
Winsome Wood Drop-Leaf Kitchen Island Cart
- Brand: Winsome
- Material: solid beechwood, composite wood
- Colors: beechwood
- Dimensions: 45 x 20 x 33 inches
- Product weight: 63 lbs
Multi-functional, mobile cabinet ideal for small kitchens or for those needing additional storage and workspace. You can use it in your kitchen for additional workspace without taking up too much floor space. Also ideal to be placed next to a dining room table with its easy to access storage space. Winsome Wood Drop-Leaf Kitchen Island Cart is made using solid wood materials, which ensures durability. Finished in a clear lacquer to highlight the natural beechwood grain.
This kitchen cart’s main feature is the two drop leaves that enhance the top workspace. The top counter offers a roomy food prep area and the two foldout sides add almost 10 more inches in length. A drawer providing maximum space for your knives, forks, spoons, and other kitchen utensils. The open shelf under the drawer can be used to store bowls and plates. The two-door compartment opens up ample storage space to keep additional kitchen essentials. All standing on four rolling casters, two of which lock to keep in place.
The cart is packed and shipped in 1 box, find inside the necessary hardware for assembling. Assembly instructions and inventory list included in each package, Replacement part request can be submitted directly to the manufacturer. This Wood Drop-Leaf Kitchen Island Cart is a must-have for studio apartments or small spaces that needing extra storage.
- Ideal for small kitchens that need more workspace.
- Solid beech wood body.
- Double drop leaf top.
- Elegant drawer and cabinet handles.
- Plenty of storage space.
- Do not have multiple finishes.
- Lacks an open rack.
Home Styles Americana Antique Kitchen Island
- Brand: Home Styles
- Material: hardwood solids, engineered wood
- Colors: White, Black
- Dimensions: 24 x 42 x 36 inches
- Product weight: 71 lbs
Giving you the storage you always wanted, the Home Styles Americana Antique Kitchen Island will be the go-to spot in your kitchen. Rustic design elements are apparent in the strong lines of the raised panel doors and hand-applied. Features an antiqued white or black sanded and distressed finish over hardwood solids and engineered wood. A distressed oak finished top and matching oak finished knobs complete the look.
The drawer on the island is easy to glide in and out. The storage shelves are open so you can see all of the items you have stored on the island. Because its accessible from left and right, this island is not only stylish but functional from both sides. Great for cooking as well as eating on it. Gather your family and guests around it for the next dinner you are organizing and surprise by showing them this beautiful piece, which is one of the best large kitchen islands.
The storage space on Americana Kitchen Island Cart provides a convenient way of keeping dining articles near to the user for quick and easy access. Easy to assemble, the island arrives in two large flat boxes, fairly heavy with plenty of Styrofoam packing for protection. It easily passes as high-end and nobody would guess that you got it for just under $500.
- Apparent rustic design elements.
- Distressed oak finished top.
- Matching oak finished knobs.
- Open storage shelves.
- Countertop is thin, might scratches and dents easily.
Kitchen Islands and Carts Buying Guide
A kitchen island will be more valuable to you when keeping your needs in mind. Do you like to cook? Do you need extra storage? Depending on how you intend to use the kitchen, different materials, designs, and features are recommended.
For example, an island is placed in a kitchen to supplement the countertop space. In case you have a small kitchen and need extra countertop space to prepare meals, your island should offer a clutter-free work surface. These little servants are a great way to make a small kitchen more workable and help you get the most of your space no matter what size it is. Or, you can choose a model with wheels and move it around the kitchen. Unlike kitchen islands, kitchen carts are generally mobile. These carts are multipurpose and can be used for crafts, outdoor, or even in the laundry room.
In modern styled kitchens, the trend is to focus on the development of high-tech kitchen islands by adding sinks and cooking surfaces to them. Or you can find islands that have no internal storage. Another common feature comes from using chairs and stools along the non-cooking-preparation side of the island as a supplemental dining area. In some cases, kitchen islands with butcher block will help you two folds: offer more workspace along with more storage options.
The Pros and Cons of Kitchen Islands Carts
Kitchen islands come in a variety of types and models, from the cheapest and most simplistic (kitchen carts), to more expensive and more functional (multi-tiered islands with a sink, kitchen appliances, seating options).
Pros of kitchen islands carts:
- Extra work surface – add more space for food preparation. It’s a great option if cooking involves some multi-tasking or several appliances. The extra surface can also be used for eating or doing homework.
- More storage – some models include drawers, closed cupboards, open shelves, or a combination of two or more. This way your kitchen storage space can easily double. And, if you have this extra space, alternatively, you can add an appliance to your island.
- Customizable design – a kitchen island can be modified to suit your every need. You can include a beverage unit, a microwave, a sink, or even a cooktop. If you want an island with these amenities, then your design will require planning and possibly involving a designer.
- Social hub – add chairs or barstools and have a kitchen place where friends and family can gather to talk. You can socialize with your guests while you’re still cooking.
- Open concept space – act as a room divider and, with an open concept plan, you can interact with those not in the kitchen while you’re creating meals. By introducing a base color or a countertop material different from the kitchen layout, you can use an island to create a dramatic focal point.
- Increase home value – a kitchen island can boost your home value and appeal if you decide to sell it.
To avoid disappointment or create problems in some kitchens, here are a few cons:
- Fill the space – if the size and proportions do not match your kitchen, it may result in a clunky design. Also, if the positioning is not right, you end up creating a dead space. Kitchen islands don’t really fit in small kitchens.
- Disrupt work triangle – the work triangle represents traffic flow within a kitchen. Nee to create a rotational movement between the tasks of cooking (stove), chopping/peeling (sink), and storage (refrigerator). So it is important that no element, such as a kitchen island, block the flow.
- Safety hazard – kitchen carts or kitchen islands on wheels are notoriously unstable when the top weight is unevenly distributed. This instability can cause the mobile kitchen island to fall or tilt over.
- Costs – you can buy kitchen islands that suit any budget. Though, custom-built kitchen islands can be a very expensive investment, especially if they include extras like plumbing and electric ports.
Ideally, a kitchen island should have 42-inches of space on each side for optimal work and movement. And seating along an island is great if the walkway behind it not restricted.
5 Things You Need to Know Before Choosing a Kitchen Island Cart
If you are planning to buy a kitchen island or cart, there are a few key things to consider:
- Purpose – looking after a kitchen island for preparation, cooking, seating?
- Dimensions – will the size of your kitchen island affects surrounding cabinetry and walkways?
- Worktops – which top material is the best?
- Functionality – want to improve your island cart and make it more user-friendly?
- Services – do you need electrics, gas, waste, for the island?
1) Kitchen Island Cart Purpose
Your kitchen island could serve for food preparation or could be used for occasional entertaining. It is extremely important to establish the function of your island right from the start. Below are some of the most common uses and useful tips and ideas for each type.
For food preparation, you need knives, chopping boards, food processors, herbs, oils, which should be kept close for easy reach. You may want to consider having a wooden butcher’s block for the worktop. For cooking, utensils, pots, pans, and a recipe book need a place to stay. Consider using models with drawers and adjustable shelves under the cooktop for easy access and a way to extend your surface, like drop leaf islands.
If you like to socialize in your kitchen or just seating for drinks and snacks, plan your island cart to accommodate what you need. You could plan to include a cocktail station with a fridge, a wine cooler, or some wine racks.
2) Kitchen Island Cart Dimensions
A kitchen island should be functional and proportionate in height. The average size of a kitchen island cart is 80 x 40 inches, and 36-40 inches in height, depending on the type. The length of your island will be dictated by a few factors, including the space available, the function of the island, how many seats you would like to accommodate, and the limitations of the work surface.
It is important to buy a cart or island according to the dimensions you have in your kitchen. Don’t get too small or too big. If it is too small, the island cart will look weird. If it’s too big, it will take a lot from your space and make your kitchen look even smaller.
3) Kitchen Island Cart Worktops
Countertop materials begin with affordable laminate tops. These are the most cost-effective solution for kitchen worktops. Oak, walnut, beech, bamboo, are just a few of the different types of wood used for kitchen worktops.
Solid-surface, resin, and tile countertops are mid-priced. The most expensive countertops continue to be quartz, granite (and other stones), stainless steel, and specialty options like reclaimed wood, lava, and recycled glass.
4) Kitchen Island Cart Functionality
You can buy a kitchen island with additional features to improve its’ functionality. A set of open shelves are ideal for displaying dishes, bowls, and pans. A spice rack store and display containers of your herbs and spices. A towel rack for hanging towels is always useful in the kitchen.
Utility hooks on a kitchen island increase its functionality, allowing you to hang utensils, and small pots. A wine rack lets you keep a number of your favorite beverages at hand for some special occasions. Locking casters (small wheels attached to legs to convert a stationary kitchen island into a mobile cart) allows you to position your kitchen island wherever needed and then secure it in place.
5) Kitchen Island Cart Services
On kitchen islands you can install a sink, stove/hob, or other electrical goods to serve you better. For sinks and dishwashers, you’ll need to supply hot and cold water and a waste outlet. For a stove or hob, you will need a gas supply or appropriate electrical supply. If you are installing a hob/stove, you will know the value of having a hood and exhaust fan. Always seek the advice of a professional designer who will help you choose the best solution that suits your project.
Kitchen Island Carts FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions)
Does my island have to match cabinets and countertops?
Matching an island to kitchen cabinets and countertops creates a kind of symmetry and aesthetics within a kitchen. If you’re using different cabinet or countertop colors you can turn an island into a beautiful focal point inside of your kitchen. Different island and cabinet colors add variety to the kitchen, while similar countertops tie everything together.
How much should an island seat overhang?
The recommended counter overhang varies with the counter height. Furniture design experts suggest 15 to 18 inches for the lower counter and 12 inches for a raised counter. These dimensions will give a comfortable space for your knees. And you can add a nice Sputnik chandelier to create a modern atmosphere!
What gap do you need around a kitchen island?
Specialists estimate that unless your kitchen is at least 8 feet deep and 12 feet long, you shouldn’t even consider an island cart. The general rule is that you will need at least 42 to 48 inches of open space around your island. For a U-shaped kitchen, the opening should be at least 10 feet wide to avoid claustrophobia. Finally, there is the option of a kitchen peninsula rather than a full island cart.
What is a normal kitchen island height?
A typical height for your kitchen island could range from 36 inches for cooking to 42 inches on the side used for eating. At this height, an island allows you to add stools on the opposite side of your cooking area. This creates a breakfast bar or lunch counter in your kitchen for informal meals, however, some homeowners opt for a single level, cooking-only island with no stools.
How much do kitchen islands cost?
A normal island cart on the market that you assemble may cost from $200 to $1,000, depending on how big it is and the materials used. Islands with electrical power but no plumbing or cooking equipment often cost more than $2,000. Custom islands with power and water start at about $3,000 but usually cost a bit more. When eating space, cooking appliances, ventilation, and cabinetry are included, a full kitchen island set is above $20,000.
For efficient working and storage in the kitchen, consider buying the above-reviewed kitchen carts. They are made in small to medium sizes such that they don’t require large setting areas. The carts can maneuver in the kitchen due to the equipped wheels at the bottom; plus, they are provided with multiple storage spaces.
Constructed of solid hardwood and wood veneers, Crosley Furniture Drop Leaf Kitchen Island Breakfast Bar is designed for longevity. Raise the drop leaf to expand your serving space, or just sit at the breakfast bar and eat your meal. Open storage on both ends provides easy access to frequently used items and is perfect for displaying decorative objects. Style, function, and quality make this kitchen island our #1 recommendation.
Kitchen islands and carts are the perfect solutions to add space and functionality to a kitchen. You use them to store pots, pans, dishes, and appliances, but it also provides additional working space. If you ever thinking you need more space, kitchen island carts may be the perfect design solution.