When you think about the prodigious furniture brands in the country, names like Lexington, Bernhardt, or Hooker probably come to your mind. Now try to guess who’s the largest furniture retailer in the US, and maybe you come up with the Ikea name. In such a case, you are dead wrong!
The biggest supplier and retailer of furniture in the US is a brand that may or may not LIKE, but it’s certainly the American home furnishings buying option – Ashley Furniture HomeStore. Unlike any other furniture brand, they become so big and control the market the same way Amazon did for online sales or General Foods for every supermarket in this country.
Started in the early ’70s as Arcadia Furniture, Ashley was first a producer of cabinets and tables that sold its products through a Chicago-based sales agency called Ashley Furniture Corp. Since early 1984, the company began production in Asia.
At the same time, they were wise and invest heavily in modern American manufacturing facilities. In 1997, Ashley entered the retail business with its first Ashley HomeStore in Anchorage, Alaska. As a consequence of its continuing growth, the first international store, located in Japan, was opened 3 years later. Ashley’s growth was internal rather than through brand and company acquisitions.
In 2007, for the first time, Ashley beat Walmart as the largest retailer of furniture in the US, a ranking it continues to hold today by a wide margin. In such a highly fragmented furniture industry, Ashley is so dominant that has almost no rival to its #1 retailer position. With billions in annual revenue and thousands of retail stores (most are franchises or licensees), Ashley has achieved something no other US furniture company has been able to do!Ashley Furniture has options for almost every design style and offers collections that can complete any room. If you want the best quality, higher priced Ashley products will get you the most for your money. Click To Tweet
Consumer Reports – Ashley Furniture HomeStore Pros and Cons
Ashley HomeStore manufactures living room, dining room, bedroom, entertainment, home office furniture, and other home furnishings in the USA and worldwide. And it was one of the first to recognize China’s potential as a source to import into the USA low-cost furniture. This is good for the business – how about consumers?
- Lowest price points to fit most budgets. Less expensive is not equal to higher quality.
- Full spectrum of styles designed for the largest amount of interior design concepts.
- Plenty of local showrooms across the US and internationnaly.
- Sell products within other major online furniture retailers.
- Available to buy directly online, constantly adding and updating its inventory.
- Propertary in-home delivery service.
- Support the environmental protection initiatives.
- Financing options and daily discount prices applicable.
- Limited 72-hour return window.
- Major problems with less expensive products in terms of lastingness.
- An incredible amount of complaints related to the material quality and assembling.
- Home delivery issues reported.
5 Things You Need to Know Before Shopping at Ashley Furniture
Since 1945, Ashley Furniture Homestore evolve constantly and now offer everything you need to decorate a home. They’re a furnishing retailer for both American and international shoppers, with more than 2,000 storefronts in 123 countries. Here are a few facts you need to know before go to shopping there.
- They are the #1 furniture manufacturer since 2005. They sell millions of items in stores and online, with over $5 billion in annual revenue.
- You can find deals every day of the year on their website. Get a discount of up to 75 percent for sofas, tables, mattresses, recliners, lightning, indoor or outdoor furniture sets, and much more. They offer discounts for America’s servicemen and women, while military members can receive 5 percent off their receipt.
- You can save big money if you shop during the holidays. Ashley Furniture launches annual discounted sales on the following holidays: Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran’s Day, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, New Year, Valentine’s Day, and President’s Day.
- One of the best months to score the finest deals is in February. Ashley features major markdowns around this period to make room for their annual furniture launches that take place each spring.
- You can buy their furniture through Amazon, under the Signature Design by Ashley division. The mighty Amazon offers customers a variety of items from Ashley, some of which come with free two-day shipping for Prime Members.
Where To Buy Ashley Furnishings
With 1,000 stores in the US, Ashley HomeStore is the #1 furniture brand seller in the country and the largest player on both ends of the product pipeline – supplier and retailer. There is nothing left to say here!
The second option is to buy Ashley Furniture products directly from their website. The site is well constructed and offers tons of information to have a great shopping experience. Furnishings are sorted by style, room, or collections. Ashley products have a wide variety of price points and design options to fit a lower and upper budget. There is a special page assign for daily deals so you save a lot of money thought-out each day of the year.
The availability of a product can be checked online, and then you can choose whether you want to get your order from a local store or buy it online and wait for the delivery. Ashley HomeStore offers in-home and ground delivery for what you buy. Make sure to look in offline stores if you can’t find what you want online. The website doesn’t feature every style available, and therefore it’s best to browse the full selection in their catalogs.
For your convenience, it is more comfortable to buy online, as Ashley furnishings can be found on websites such as Amazon (under the Signature Design by Ashley name) and Wayfair (in a limited number of products).
Ashley Furniture Pricing
Ashley Furniture is known for their moderately priced furniture. In terms of price and quality, you can find some good bargains, but make sure to look at what goes into the furniture. Here are some prices for popular furnishings.
- Sofas start at $350
- Panel beds start at $380
- Accent tables start at $60
- Bookcases start at $35
- Dining room sets start at $70
- Outdoor tables start at $50
- Ottomans start at $30
- TV/Media stands start at $50
- Mattresses start at $60
- Nightstands start at $30
- Recliners start at $240
Ashley Furniture HomeStore Top Picks – Most Iconic Pieces and Collections
People buy Liberty furniture for its affordable price and luxury style. Their furniture catalog is impressive and is divided by categories such as Bedroom, Dining, Entertainment, Home Office, Occasional, Youth, Accents, and Collections. Here are some of their best-selling pieces and collections.
1 Dolante Queen Upholstered Bed
The Dolante Queen Upholstered Bed is sure to awaken a love for modern platform styling with a softer side. Plush to the touch and so easy on the eyes, a pale beige fabric hugs the bed – from the chic headboard with square button tufting, to the low footboard and side rails, emanating the calming mood you long for in the bedroom. The bed frame is made of engineered wood with plush polyester upholstery on the headboard, rails, and footboard. Includes headboard, footboard, and rails to fit a Queen-size mattress. Mattress and foundation/box spring sold separately. A very solid piece of furniture, easy to assemble.
2 Urbanology Collection
Urbanology Collection by Ashley HomeStores focuses on making a space that is totally you. Think bold, vibrant prints and patterns, exposed industrial accents, and eclectic pieces to show off your unique style. This line of products gives the aura of an understated, yet upscale, urban loft, but with the functionality to fit in any space. The industrial style blends contrary eclectic elements with the feeling of worn, rough reclaimed materials. The combinations of color, texture, and style show off an eclectic side. So you can mix urban trends with a classic design for unique, well-designed home space.
3 Darcy Contemporary Sofa by Signature Design
Signature Design is manufactured by Ashley Furniture and offers top-quality furniture at incredibly low prices. Using a team of in-house designers, Ashley Furniture creates the best look without paying expensive design fees. Then, using some of the most efficient production standards in the furniture industry, the company can maximize productivity and minimize waste, generating additional savings when furnishing your home.
Timelessness re-imagined, Darcy Contemporary Sofa wows with fine lines and great curves. That’s the scoop of the Darcy sofa – to suit your appreciation for clean, contemporary style. Comfy pillow top armrests, and an ultra-soft upholstery that holds up to everyday living complete this fashion statement. Sit back and relax on high-resiliency foam cushions wrapped in sumptuous polyester upholstery. Legs are extra made of hard plastic. Cushions are removable but have Velcro on the bottom so not reversible. No matter your decor style, this sofa is sure to make an impression on your living space.
4 Ashley’s 12 Inch Memory Foam Queen Mattress in a Box
That’s another great example of a superb product from Ashley. With over 35,000 positive reviews on Amazon, you cannot say that Ashley products are NOT great! When it comes to your comfort and sound sleep you’ve always dreamed of, test Ashley’s 12 Inch Memory Foam Queen Mattress. This body-contouring memory foam mattress delivers amazing support, pressure relief, and comfort. The memory foam layer is supported by a super thick layer of firm support foam. It helps reduce motion transfer so you and your partner can enjoy a night of undisturbed sleep. The mattress arrives in a box for easy setup.
5 Yandel Power Lift Recliner
Double your pleasure and your sense of style with the Yandel Power Lift Recliner. The dual-motor capability allows you to recline back and elevate your legs independently for more comfortable positioning. With the touch of a button, the power lift feature gently eases you from the ultimate slumber into a lift-and-tilt position to get you back on your feet, effortlessly. Saddle brown upholstery looks like leather but is actually thick poly fiber with a cozy feel-good touch. Designed for comfort with high back, thick cushions, and sturdy corner-blocked framed with metal reinforced seat.
How To Protect and Care Ashley Furniture
You’ll want to enjoy the furnishings for years to come. To ensure that, we encourage you to perform proper care and cleaning.
- Do not expose your furniture to strong sunlight, heat outlets, open windows, or dampness.
- Liquid spills will damage furniture if not removed promptly.
- Do not use abrasives or harsh chemicals on wood furniture or glass.
- Use a lint-free cloth to polish wood furniture on a weekly basis.
- Upholstered products have a tag with an universal cleaning code indicating best cleaning practices.
- Never use soap and water on wood furniture.
- Clean leather weekly using a damp sponge or soft, lint-free cloth. Do not rub.
- Do not clean glass without gently removing excessive dirt and debris first.
- When it comes to cleaning metal, less is more. Simply dusting regularly with a clean, dry cloth.
- Iron or steel frames can rust if exposed to excessive humidity, particularly in saltwater locations.
- Do not use vinegar, bleach, lemon, ammonia, general-purpose cleaners or abrasive cleaning agents on marble.
- To clean a stain on a mattress, use mild soap with cold water and apply lightly.
- Vacuum your rug regularly on the lowest-level suction.
- Professional refinishing is recommended to remove etch marks and restore the stone’s natural finish.
Ashley Furniture HomeStore Frequently Asked Questions
These are some frequently asked questions related to Ashley’s HomeStore. If you cannot find the right answers to your questions, feel free to visit Ashley’s main website.
Is Ashley Furniture and Ashley HomeStore the same?
Ashley HomeStore is an American furniture retailer that sells Ashley Furniture products. The chain has both corporate and independently owned furniture stores.
Is Ashley good quality furniture?
Ashley Furniture is known for its lower to moderately-priced furniture made in a wide variety of styles. In terms of furniture quality, there can be some good deals to be found, but make sure you check from what and how it’s made the furniture. Ashley make good quality furniture but you need to do some research to get the best stylish furniture.
What type of furniture does Ashley Furniture have?
Ashley combines the latest trends with technology to give you the very best furniture, from the latest stylish sectional sofas, mattresses, beds, desks, or bar stools to durable engineered wood TV stands. With unmatched prices, they are your one-stop destination for home furniture and accents.
Who makes Ashley furniture?
Ashley Furniture HomeStore manufactures and distributes its furniture. Some parts and products are made overseas in China and Vietnam. You can check some prices here.
Which is better Ashley or Lazy Boy?
La-Z-Boy is known for quality living room, dining room, and bedroom furniture with free design services. Ashley HomeStore is a discount retailer with a wide range of furniture, decor, and accessories. According to Consumer Affairs, La-Z-Boy’s has a higher overall satisfaction rating than Ashley Furniture. Ashley Furniture’s complaints are due to poor after-sale service and damaged furniture.
Ashley Furniture Alternatives
Often compared with Ikea, Ashley is not on the price range and quality as Lexington or Hooker, for example. Fortunately, there are several retailers and brick-and-mortar stores that offer moderately priced furniture. If you are looking for low-priced alternatives to Ashley Furniture without compromising on quality, I found La-Z-Boy and Raymour & Flanigan to be one the best options for you.
And Wayfair is an online retailer of home products for bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen and dining, home entertainment, bathrooms, and more with a solid reputation, great options, deals, and prices. Plus, Wayfair also includes a portfolio of affordable online retailers including Birch Lane, Joss & Main, and All Modern.
Ashley Furniture HomeStore: Good or Bad?
Love them or hate them, that’s up to you and your personal experience. One thing is for certain: they are here to stay and continue to grow. And do not point your finger at Ashley because the furniture industry cut prices and come up with products of lower quality.
- You need a furniture collection or an accent piece
- You’re looking for affordable prices
- You want to furnish your home from a single place
- You seek inspired designs by the latest trends
- You’re in search for deals on local stores
Not Recommended IF
- You want something more custom-made and exclusive
- You are too scared by the sheer number of online complaints related to the quality of materials, long delivery time, and damaged furniture
We live in hard times and globalization brings new opportunities but also challenges. The top 100 furniture retailers currently control 78 percent of total US furniture sales. The top 50 retailers control almost 50 percent of sales nationwide. And the numbers continue to grow and bring more control over the market for the big boys. Can you figure that?
Now think about another aspect: study after study shows that the primary concern of consumers who purchase furniture is price. By volume, these buyers have the power to dictate the prices they are willing to pay to their furniture suppliers. After that, manufacturers need to figure out a way to cut costs to meet those price requirements! In most cases, this affects the quality of furnishings.
Ashley’s tremendous success at selling furniture that looks great at low prices and the continued pressure of buyers for ridiculous prices forced competitors to cut costs and quality of products to compete and stay on the market. The results? A decline in quality for low to mid-price-range mass-produced furniture like never before.
Final Thoughts – Ashley Furniture HomeStore
Overall, consumers feel mixed emotions when it comes to Ashley Furniture. Sure, they cover every category for home products you may need: from beds, sofas, desks, and chairs to pillows, rugs, mattresses, and even lighting elements. One of their strong points is how large is their selection of mattresses is. When it comes to design styles, Ashley has a full spectrum of styles – Farmhouse, Midcentury, Glam, Bohemian, Traditional, Urban, Industrial, French, Modern, Coastal – that appeal to any interior design concepts.
Ashley’s prices are highly competitive, and the furniture looks great, without a question. If you want a piece of chosen furniture that has good quality and more features while also having more convenient locations to shop at, consider Ashley. Before buying any furnishing from Ashley Furniture HomeStore, it is always a good idea to do your due diligence research. Check online for the piece and (if possible) do a visit to a local store to see the product with your own eyes. This way, you won’t fail and blame Ashley Furniture for bad products.