The answer is NO! There is a fine line between a kitchen cart and a kitchen island. Unlike kitchen islands, kitchen carts are generally mobile and you can buy them at a fraction of the cost. They can be used for storage purposes or may also be your new favorite place to chop up meat and veggies. Or they could be a table with wheels that is used especially for serving food [source: Merriam-Webster dictionary].
Kitchen carts are commonly made of wood or metal. As a countertop, some might have marble, granite, stainless steel, or a solid butcher block. They can range from basic with just a few shelves to more sophisticated with features like towel bars, drawers, cabinets and more. Depending on your needs – there is the right kitchen cart for you that will help organize your kitchen or whatever space it is in.
Consumer Reports – Kitchen Carts Pros and Cons
Sometimes, kitchen carts are not an absolute necessity but can have many advantages. The most beneficial aspect is the extra working space. Yet, people find that kitchen carts provide a variety of utility other than just cooking. So, are kitchen carts the heart of your home or just a mess magnet?
- Plenty of finishess and styles
- Adds functionality
- Better for small kitchens
- Can be moved easily
- Fairly simple to install
- A wide range of prices
- Great for a remodeling project
- Might limit kitchen access and flow
- Should match the kitchen decor
- Creates dead space in the corners
Best Kitchen Carts Reviews
The kitchen is a place from your home where we all need more space and functionality over time. From storage to counter space, an additional area to cook will make your life easier. When you need to add more storage and counter space kitchen carts is a great way to go! But which one is best for you? Here is our list of the best kitchen carts for your home.
HOMCOM Multi-Storage Rolling Kitchen Island Utility Carts
- Brand: HOMCOM
- Color: Black
- Materials: pine wood, MDF, stainless steel
- Stainless steel countertop
- Drawers and cabinets to store kitchen essentials
- Towel rack, spice rack, knife holder
- Four smooth rolling wheels
- Product dimensions: 33 x 18 x 35.75 inches
- Tabletop length: 24 inches
- Inner drawer: 19 x 13 x 2.5 inches
- Weight capacity: 44 lbs
- Product weight: 47.5 lbs
Add elegance and extra storage to your home with HOMCOM Multi-Storage Rolling Kitchen Island Utility Carts. Designed with functionality in mind, this small and very compact kitchen island cart will make your life easier. The stylish and durable materials feature handsome pine wood with a solid stainless steel top for a sophisticated look. The large drawer and a 2-tier cabinet can be used as a pantry or to store silverware, dishes, pots, pans, and more.
A very handy spice rack, towel rack, and wooden handle on the sides of the kitchen cart offer even more convenience and an effortless way to transport the cart. Four omni-directional rolling wheels provide smooth movement for when you’re working in the kitchen. Whether you want an additional work surface, to get better organized, or simply need a way to maximize your existing space, this solid cart has got you covered with a stylish design.
Trent Austin Design Chamberlin Kitchen Carts
- Brand: Trent Austin Design
- Color: Honey & Black, Gray
- Counter material: solid wood
- Two drawers for max storage
- Exterior shelves included
- Locking wheels for easy mobility
- Assembly required
- Product dimensions: 36.5 x 42 x 18 inches
- Weight capacity: 200 lbs
- Shelf weight capacity: 25 lbs
- Product weight: 43 lbs
Not too big not too small, the Trent Austin Design Chamberlin Kitchen Cart can do it all. It’s the perfect place to prep a hefty meal, but also offers room for friends to gather around appetizers at a cocktail party. Plus, it includes two storage shelves for all your chef-worthy essentials. The open metal slatted shelving can be used to store your favorite wine for the next party. The drawers are a little short and some longer cooking tools like tongs and wooden spoons have to lay slanted in the drawers to fit.
Exemplary of industrial style, it pairs a rustic pine wood frame with black-finished metal elements for factory-chic contrast that works well in converted lofts and modern farmhouses alike. Hardware finish is in brass and features locking wheels. The added caster wheels can bring the party to any room in your home. Relatively simple to assemble, or buy the already assembled model.
Winsome Wood Drop-Leaf Kitchen Carts
- Brand: Winsome
- Color: Beech
- Solid/composite wood
- Double drop leaf top
- Metal back accents
- One drawer and cabinet
- Ships in 1 box
- Product dimensions: 43.25 x 20.1 x 33 inches
- Countertop: 23.5 x 20.1 inches
- Each leaf: 9.8 x 20.1 inches
- Product weight: 63 lbs
This kitchen cart surprised you in the best way. Perfect for small kitchens that need more workspace, Winsome Wood Drop-Leaf Kitchen Cart packs a lot into its compact dimensions. The top counter offers a roomy food prep area with two foldout sides that add almost 10 more inches in length. The storage space is great. With the sides extended, you could probably even use this as a bistro table. The natural finish is nice and the quality of materials is great.
Underneath are a deep drawer for utensils and tools, an open shelf, and two cabinet drawers with storage space for tall and large items. Crafted of solid beechwood with brushed nickel hardware, this handy cart moves on lockable casters wherever it’s needed, then slides out of the way when not in use. The wheels are sturdy and lock, and it rolls very easily. Assembly is required.
Winston Porter Selborne Solid Wood Kitchen Carts
- Brand: Winston Porter
- Color: Yellow Birch
- Made of durable solid wood
- Slatted storage shelf
- Features a nice drop leaf
- Include three towel racks
- Made in the USA
- Product dimensions: 35.5 x 36 x 34 inches
- Countertop thickness: 2 inches
- Shelf: 17 x 31.75 x 21 inches
- Leaf: 36 x 10 inches
- Product weight: 141 lbs
Blending traditional style with contemporary clean-lined silhouettes, Winston Porter Selborne Solid Wood Kitchen Cart gives your home the best of both worlds. Classic design and yellow birch color add familiar comfort and warmth, while simple geometric lines add a refreshing pop of chic style. This is truly a top of the line work center! Made of solid domestic hardwood, this will command attention and provide years of function even in the most distinguished kitchens.
It’s solid like a rock, the finish on the wood is like satin, and the hardware is pristine and tightly fits. Moreover, it also presents a nice polish against the earthy butcher block. Pull out the leaf and everyone circles up with a glass of wine and enjoys this centerpiece. With plenty of storage space and easy mobility, the Selborne cart will meet the needs of even the most critical kitchen connoisseur. The bottom storage rack is firm, and overall, this cart is very attractive, functional, movable, and solid.
IRONCK Industrial Kitchen Carts 3-Tier Vintage Brown
- Brand: IRONCK
- Color: Vintage Brown
- Materials: MDF board and metal
- Solid metal frame
- 2 tier metal grid shelf
- Universal wheels or fixed footpads
- Need installation, tools are provided
- Product dimensions: 24 x 16.1 x 30.3 inches
- Top table: 24 x 16.14 inches
- Load capacity: 88 lbs
- Product weight: 43 lbs
You’ll be pleasantly surprised by this piece of furniture. IRONCK Industrial Kitchen Carts 3-Tier Vintage Brown looks very beautiful and is very sturdy. It gives you an extra work surface as well for prep. By seamlessly connecting a solid industrial aesthetic design to practical daily use, you open up more possibilities for your home. Provide more solutions for your room layout, storage, and furniture mix and match. Made of smooth wear-resistant MDF board with a solid metal frame.
It comes with the option of wheels, or stationary feet, both of which are easy to attach. It is easy to assemble, complete the assembly within 15 minutes. Simply assemble table legs and shelves. Installation drawings and tools are provided. It isn’t overly heavy, but is sturdy and holds a microwave as well as having space for storing a larger size crockpot and other items on the shelves. It has a nice industrial type look and the quality is exemplary.
Home Styles Create-a-Cart Natural 4 Door Cabinet Kitchen Carts
- Brand: Home Styles
- Color: Natural
- Countertop: Wood, Stainless Steel, or Granite
- Handy spice rack with towel bar
- Four cabinets, two drawers, three adjustable shelves
- Industrial sized casters
- Assembly required
- Product dimensions: 17.8 x 48.8 x 34.8 inches
- Product weight: 94 lbs
This portable kitchen cart gives you plenty of extra workspace. It is packed with storage space to keep essentials organized and close at hand. Home Styles Create-a-Cart Natural 4 Door Cabinet Kitchen Cart with solid wood construction offers unmatched durability, while its elegant natural finish accentuates the kitchen with traditional quality. Construction consists of sustainable hardwood with a clear coat finish. For the countertop, choose from materials like Wood, Stainless Steel, or Granite in different colors.
Two easy-glide drawers and four cabinet doors with three adjustable shelves inside provide plenty of room for even more of your kitchenware. Besides, this kitchen cart comes with towel bars on both ends, a spice rack, and industrial-grade locking rubber casters for stability and convenient mobility. Comes carefully packaged with all items labeled with coordinating easy to follow assembly directions. The entire cart unit is constructed of real wood – not particle board.
Project Tidy Enos Kitchen Carts with Wood Top
- Brand: Project Tidy
- Color: Bamboo & Chrome
- Durable bamboo cutting board
- Base material: stainless steel
- Shelves and basket adjustable in 1-inches increments
- Towel rod and three hooks included
- Swivel wheels, two locking
- Product dimensions: 36.5 x 28.6 x 19.8 inches
- Countertop thickness: 1.5 inches
- Weight capacity: 500 lbs
- Shelf weight capacity: 200 lbs
- Product weight: 41.4 lbs
Do you need a handy organization, extra prep space, and flexible mobility? At 1.5 inches thick, Project Tidy Enos Kitchen Cart with Wood Top is built to withstand all your cutting needs. Crafted from stainless steel with a bamboo work surface, this piece combines both form and function with a streamlined modern feel. And this portable cart is here to help you with cookware storage needs. The EcoStorage finish rest assure you that no toxic chemicals are released into the environment during the production of this cart.
Underneath the board sits an additional shelf for extra storage space. Both shelves and basket are adjustable in 1-inch increments, allowing you to configure your kitchen cart depending on your preference. The sidebar with four fixed hooks is perfect to hang cooking tools and utensils. This is is well built, strong, sturdy, and very easy to assemble. Very reasonably priced and very functional to provide extra cutting space and storage below, and the cart overall is esthetically pleasing.
Giantex Kitchen Island Carts Rolling Storage Trolley Carts
- Brand: Giantex
- Color: Brown
- Simple and classic design
- Main material: MDF, rubber wood
- Two cabinets, two drawers and a knife block
- Adjustable shelves
- Four universal wheels for smooth rolling
- Product dimensions: 48 x 18 x 36.5 inches
- Weight capacity of tabletop: 132 lbs
- Drawer weight capacity: 17.5 lbs
- Shelf weigh capacity: 22 lbs
- Product weight: 49 lbs
This kitchen trolley cart is an excellent addition for your kitchen or dining room. The Giantex Kitchen Island Cart Rolling Storage Trolley Cart is constructed of high-quality MDF materials. The kitchen island cart is solid enough to serve you for a long time. An eco-friendly rubberwood top saves you from the trouble of deformation or mold. With its simple and classic design, it can be perfectly combined with most home decor styles. Suitable for apartments, restaurants, or anywhere you need more extra storage.
Featuring two drawers, a knife block and two large cabinets with an adjustable shelf, this rolling kitchen cart will meet your different needs for storing and make good use of space. A convenient handle makes it more effortless for push or you can use it as a towel rack. Four universal wheels ensure you can move it smoothly and silently, and two of which have brakes for safe use. Assembly instruction is detailed. All parts are given a number and each assembling steps are listed.
Three Posts Hedon Kitchen Carts with Granite Top
- Brand: Three Posts
- Color: Vintage Mahogany, Classic Cherry, White & Black
- Base material: solid and manufactured wood
- Counter: granite
- Cabinets with three adjustable interior shelves
- Two large drawers, towel and spice rack
- Assembly required
- Product dimensions: 36 x 52 x 18 inches
- Countertop thickness: 0.75 inches
- Weight capacity: 150 lbs
- Product weight: 160.5 lbs
Optimize and expand your prep space with Three Posts Hedon Kitchen Cart with Granite Top. Crafted of solid hardwoods with veneers in a hand-rubbed, with a multi-step finish, this design features raised paneling and tasteful moldings. This portable cart is available in four stunning hand-rubbed finishes – Vintage Mahogany, Classic Cherry, White and Black. For the countertop, there are two options, a sleek and modern black granite or a softer, classic gray granite.
Each of the three storage cabinets features an adjustable shelf, great space for stowing dinnerware, silverware, smaller appliances, and accessories. Featuring a spice rack, a towel bar, and paper towel holder to keep necessities at your fingertips. Black and white kitchen carts showcase classic metal hardware in a brushed nickel finish. The cherry and mahogany kitchen carts showcase metal hardware in an antique brass finish. Lockable caster wheels complete the design. To minimize shipping cost, this item does require moderate assembly.
Weldona Kitchen Carts with Stainless Steel Top
- Brand: Trent Austin Design
- Color: Driftwood, Chestnut, Storm Gray wire-brush
- Counter: stainless steel
- Base material: wood or rubberwood
- Hardware: brushed chrome
- Two drawers and two shelves included
- Removable locking wheels
- Product dimensions: 36” H x 44” W x 20.5 inches
- Countertop thickness: 1.25 inches
- Countertop weight capacity: 200 lbs
- Shelf weight capacity: 50 lbs
- Product weight: 64 lbs
A stylish and functional piece, the portable kitchen cart offers additional countertop and storage space in your kitchen. Weldona Kitchen Cart with Stainless Steel Top fuses rustic detailing and industrial inspiration with modern silhouettes. It is optimal to keep your go-to cookware, serveware, and barware close by and organized. Stylish, functional and affordabe. In a small apartment where you need more space, but can’t put in any permanent additions, this cart works perfectly.
Crafted from solid rubberwood in a distressed wood grain finish, its base features two drawers and two shelves that provide a place for all the essentials. The cart has two utility drawers and a towel rack. The space between the levels is large enough to store big kitchen items. The stainless steel countertop gives you extra elbow room as you prepare meals, while locking caster wheels below offer must-have mobility. Assembly is required to put things together. Do not tighten up all the screws until each part is properly assembled.
What To Consider When Buying a Portable Cart?
Maximising preparation area, storage space and property value with the help of a kitchen cart is a worthwhile investment. Here’s what you need to look at when you are choosing a kitchen cart.
- Size of the cart: they aren’t a one-size-fits. The width, depth and high are extremely important. You need a portable cart that will fit into the space that you have in your kitchen. You need to have at least 40 inches between the worktop and the run. This distance ensures you can walk around the island easily. It also needs to have a comfortable height for you to work at.
- Construction material: the choice for materials is vast, all of which have their own characteristics. You can match or contrast your finish cart with the rest of your kitchen, or even combine contrasting materials. Wood is still by far the most popular option. The countertop selection offers a bit more. Many prefer, again, wood or the rich look of natural stone like granite or marble. Others want a hassle-free stainless steel finish.
- Organizational components: one of the biggest advantages of a kitchen cart is the additional storage space it provides. You have a choice of cabinets, open shelves, sliding baskets, wine racks, knife blocks, towel holders, and utility hooks to name just a few.
- Functional aspects: one option is to have a butcher blocks countertop. A quality butcher block is at least two inches thick and made from end grain or edge grain to protect your knives from dulling. A drop-leaf is a tabletop or counter section that unfolds to extend the existing work area. Drop-leafs can be useful as a serving buffet or breakfast bar. Another choice is to have an electric outlet strip on the cart that will allow you to plug in small kitchen appliances.
- Weight capacity: Over-loading a portable cart can lead to nasty accidents. So it is paramount to be aware of the maximum weight capacity a cart or shelve can support. Think about what you want to place on it (electric appliances, serving pieces, dish rack or full stockpots) and then choose an appropriate cart model.
- Mobility: when you need to entertain guests, transport foods from the kitchen to the dining room or surprising someone with a birthday cake, well, a portable cart is a great option. A pair of solid casters convert a stationary kitchen island or cart into a mobile workstation. Locking casters allow you to position your portable cart wherever needed and then secure it in place. Neoprene rubber castors are designed not to damage the floor and are the best option.
- Assembly: are you ready and have the knowledge to put the cart together yourself? Do you have the right tools to help you do so? If not, perhaps the best choice is to buy a ready-assembled kitchen cart.
Our top 10 pick of the best kitchen carts gives both preparation surface and storage. You can move them around with ease. It features pull-out drawers, cabinets with two or more shelves, spice racks and even towel holders. They do not occupy that much space on your kitchen and in return gives you a place where you can prepare so many delightful recipes.
We recommend the HOMCOM Multi-Storage Rolling Kitchen Island Utility Carts as the best buying option for this category. Its simple and classic design, the storage space, and the materials used won’t let you down. And the price for this kitchen cart is irresistible. Go for it!